Image via Jennifer Causey
Spring has sprung! I don't know about you, but I absolutely love the fresh air of spring and the chance for renewing my skin after the chilly days of winter. The dryness of winter leaves our skin's natural moisture content depleted and thirsty for some hydration. Our skin is also used to heavier moisturizers during these months which leaves the skin needing a gentle exfoliation to prepare for the new season.
Emphasizing holistic remedies into your regimen is what will create healthy changes to your skin. By feeding your skin from the inside with nutrient-rich, whole foods, you are ultimately giving your skin a healthy, glowing boost. Your skin mirrors what is imbalanced within your body--a dull, dry, and sallow appearance tells me that you must be lacking hydration and healthy fats. So let's discuss some of my favorite foods for boosting your glow and giving your skin a supple complexion!
1. Avocado is a rich source of nourishing fatty acids and Vitamin E which improves your skin health by replenishing your skin's moisture barrier and and fighting oxidative cellular damage. The buttery texture of this fruit tells you just how abundant the fat is, preserving your precious moisture and boosting your glow.
2. Improve your skin's texture and suppleness with walnuts! Walnuts contain high levels of nourishing Omega-3 fatty acids and copper, increasing your collagen production while hydrating your cells for more youthful skin.
3. Consider swapping your usual pre-made salad dressings for olive oil and a splash of vinegar. Olive oil contains 75% of rich monounsaturated fats and antioxidants which supports your skin's health by boosting free-radical protection and repairing your skin's barrier. This beauty oil is a large part of the heart-healthy Mediterranean Diet which doctors are recognizing as the most healthful way to eat!
4. Chia seeds are becoming increasingly popular due to their ability to work wonders on the skin. Rich in Omega-3 fatty acids, protein, fiber, and antioxidants, these little seeds assist in repairing the skin and protect against dangerous pathogens by strengthening your barrier.
5. It's strawberry season so stock up on these pretties for glowing skin! Strawberries contain over 75% water and are an incredible source of skin-boosting antioxidants that protect you from free radicals that destroy collagen and steal oxygen from healthy cells. Rich in Vitamin C, strawberries will keep your skin firm and discourages the formation of lines and wrinkles.
6. Sweet potatoes are an often under-looked root vegetable for skin hydration but, in fact, these tubers contain an abundance of Vitamin A. Vitamin A assists in repairing tissue damage, preventing fine lines and smoothing roughness, all of which are symptoms of dry skin.
7. Eat your broccoli! Being 90% water, this nutritional powerhouse plumps skin by hydrating from the inside out. With high levels of Vitamin C & E, broccoli stimulates collagen production and protects your cells against aging, while boosting your protective properties against UV damage.
8. Coconut oil! You were waiting for this one, right? Coconut oil taken internally nourishes and heals the body as it contains anti-inflammatory fatty acids, Caprylic and Lauric. These healthy fats treat skin conditions such as dryness, eczema, and dermatitis by balancing out candida and fungal sources.
With water as my favorite and easiest source of hydration, you can ultimately heal and nourish your skin with a healthy diet rich in antioxidants and healthy fats. Use this guide as a start to boosting your hydration to reveal glow-y, beautiful skin!